We are open - safety is our top priority!
There was a time when bridges and dentures were the only options available for people with missing teeth. Now, dental implants can provide a long-lasting solution. What makes dental implants unique is that they replace not only missing teeth but missing roots as well. That provides greater stability, preserves the jawbone and shape of the face, allows you to eat your favorite foods, and can create a more youthful appearance.
Our experienced implant dentists at Dental One Associates of Woodson Square look forward to helping you improve your smile. Call us today at (571) 364-7943 to schedule a dental implant consultation. You’ll leave your appointment knowing whether a dental implant is the best solution for you, how quickly it can restore your smile, and how you can fit the cost into your family budget.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is basically a titanium post that serves as a replacement tooth root. The titanium post fuses with the jawbone, making it a stable and secure anchor for a crown, bridge or denture which is later attached to the post.
Our implant dentist in Fairfax will determine if there is enough bone in the jaw in which to place the titanium post; if not, a bone graft may be required to build up that area of the jaw. A bone graft is a common procedure and can be completed right in our office.
After the post is placed into the jaw, it will take a few months to fuse with the bone. Once the fusion is complete, the titanium post is essentially extended with an abutment (a small connector post) which secures the replacement tooth (crown) in place.
What are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a long-lasting, natural-looking solution for missing teeth and come with a variety of benefits including these:
- The titanium post prevents adjoining teeth from shifting, much like a normal tooth root.
- The implant stimulates the jawbone so it doesn’t recede. That keeps the lips and cheeks properly supported, maintains the proper facial proportions, and reduces wrinkles.
- Because the dental implant is secured in the jawbone, the replacement tooth has the look, feel and function of a natural tooth.
- Because the implant is so secure, it allows you to eat just about any food without worrying about slipping or irritation that can happen with removable dentures.
- Dental implants can serve as supports or anchors for crowns, dental bridges or dentures.
- Unlike traditional dentures, which need to be removed each night, implant-supported dentures give you teeth 24-hours-a-day.
- With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- An implant requires the same care as your natural teeth – brushing, flossing, rinsing with antibacterial mouthwash and regular dental check-ups.
What is a Dental Implant-Supported Denture?
While traditional dentures are held in place on the gums by the natural suction that comes with saliva or with a denture adhesive, an implant-supported denture is securely anchored to several implants. It can take as few as two implants to stabilize a denture, although it’s more common to use four or six dental implants.
Implant-supported dentures can be fixed or removable. An overdenture is a denture that snaps on to dental implants and is removed for cleaning each night. A fixed denture stays in the mouth and you care for it just as you do natural teeth.
Implant-supported dentures are more commonly used on the lower jaw where dentures are typically more unstable. However, implant-supported dentures are available for your upper jaw too. An implant-supported denture for the top jaw is sometimes called an implant-supported bridge because it doesn’t require the piece that rests against the roof of the mouth, like a traditional upper denture does.
The implant-supported denture should allow you to eat foods you wouldn’t be able to do so with a regular denture; even crunchy foods like apples and carrots can be enjoyed again.
How Much Do Dental Implants Cost?
The cost of dental implants depends on a range of factors, including, for example, whether a bone graft is required, how many posts are needed and how complicated the procedure is. Our implant dentist in Fairfax offers complimentary consultations. It’s free to find out whether a dental implant will help you, how much the procedure will cost, and financing options that may help you fit the cost into your budget.
Call Today for a Dental Implant Consultation
Call Dental One Associates of Woodson Square today at (571) 364-7943 to schedule a complimentary consultation. We look forward to meeting you and answering all of your questions. Dental implants can revolutionize your smile and improve your quality of life.