We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: December 28, 2020
Invisalign: Frequently Asked Questions
If your smile is less spectacular than you’d like due to misaligned or crooked teeth, then the Invisalign system may be the answer to your dilemma. A beautiful, straight smile can boost your self-confidence as well as your self-esteem, and Invisalign is one of the best methods available for obtaining straight and even teeth. Best of all, they’re clear, making them virtually invisible, so no one will know that you’re wearing them.
What Is the Invisalign System for Teeth?
The Invisalign system for straightening teeth was developed by students. They thought there must be a better solution than traditional metal braces for straightening teeth, and the whitening trays for teeth are thought to have initiated the idea. Allegedly, they wore Invisalign trays during their presentation to potential investors and only removed them at the close of their sales pitch. The investors were sold, and the Invisalign system was born.
Invisalign has been improving smiles for almost three decades, and it uses plastic aligner trays to gently move teeth into their proper alignment. The trays are made of SmartTrack, an innovative plastic that’s free of BPA, BPS, gluten, and latex, so they’re safe for almost everyone. Their invisibility aspect makes them very popular among mature adults and older teens, and they’re very comfortable, which makes them popular with everyone.
Is Invisalign Right for Everyone?
Most adults and older teenagers are suitable candidates for the Invisalign system, but those who have severe malocclusion or another severe orthodontic issue might need a more traditional appliance. If you’re interested in Invisalign, then ask yourself the following questions:
- Have your teeth stopped growing? Invisalign isn’t usually used for young children because their teeth are still forming, so it’s difficult to fabricate aligner trays that will fit. Typically, Invisalign is recommended for adults and older teenagers whose permanent teeth have fully erupted.
- Will you adhere to your Invisalign treatment schedule? Invisalign trays must be worn between 20 and 22 hours each day for them to be effective. Those who are lackadaisical about the wear time might need a different type of appliance. The trays simply don’t work if you don’t wear them. Some patients lack the manual dexterity necessary to remove and replace the trays, so they may do better with a more traditional type of braces.
- Are you concerned about the invisibility aspect? Although some people are indifferent to the wires-and-brackets appearance of traditional braces, many prefer the invisibility of the Invisalign trays and the option to remove them for important functions.
Your dentist or orthodontist will examine your teeth and gums to determine if you’re a good candidate for Invisalign, and you can ask any questions at this time. If Invisalign isn’t your best option, your dental professional will provide you with alternatives so that you can achieve the straight, even teeth that you want.
What Is the Process for Getting the Invisalign System?
The process for getting Invisalign aligner trays is unique to the individual, but you can generally expect the following:
- During your consultation in our office, your dentist or orthodontist will evaluate your teeth and gums to ensure that Invisalign will work well for you.
- If so, then we’ll make an impression of your teeth, and the impression will be used to fabricate your aligner trays.
- Every week or every other week, you’ll receive new trays, and you’ll need to make a progress check appointment about every four to six weeks. By the time of your first progress check, you should begin to notice an improvement in the alignment of your teeth.
The entire treatment process usually lasts between 12 and 18 months, although it varies by patient. Since no two patients are identical, no two treatment times are identical, so your treatment may be somewhat longer or shorter. Your dedication to wearing your trays will be a factor in your treatment time, as well as your body’s adaptive response to the trays.
How Will Invisalign Make a Change in My Routine?
Since Invisalign isn’t an invasive procedure, it shouldn’t alter your life. However, there may be some lifestyle adjustments, either temporary or permanent, that you need to make. For example:
- If you use tobacco products, you’ll need to quit, at least for the duration of the program. Nicotine damages your trays just as it damages your entire body. This would be a good time to stop using tobacco products altogether, though.
- Don’t chew gum when you’re wearing your aligner trays since the gum will warp the trays.
- When you eat or drink anything other than plain water, make sure that you remove your trays. Hot beverages can warp your trays, and colored beverages can stain your trays the same as they stain your teeth, so avoid drinking anything but plain water.
- Make sure that you floss and brush before reinserting your trays, so that food particles don’t become trapped under the trays. If possible, rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash before reinserting your trays. When food particles remain under your trays, it can cause decay and cavities to form, which will extend your treatment time.
- You may experience minor discomfort when you replace your trays, but any discomfort should disappear after a day or so. The discomfort is due to the increased pressure on your teeth as the new trays help guide them into the next segment of the alignment procedure.
What Happens at the End of the Treatment?
When you and your Invisalign dentist or orthodontist have determined that you’ve met your goals, they’ll probably recommend that you wear a retainer for a while. Usually, retainers are worn for a year or less and only at night, but they’re necessary so that your teeth maintain their new alignment. Your dentist will recommend the best type of retainer for your unique needs, and if you have any additional questions, this is the best time to ask them.
Can My Local Dentist Provide Invisalign?
Only dentists and orthodontists who have been trained and certified by Invisalign can provide genuine Invisalign aligner trays. Others may provide imitations, but they aren’t the genuine Invisalign product, which is considered one of the best on the market.
If you’re interested in the Invisalign system of aligner trays, then call Dental One Associates of Virginia at and schedule a consultation. We can help you achieve the spectacular smile you’ve always wanted, and we provide high quality services in the area. Call us today.
We look forward to working with you.